Achieving durable weight loss
Re-balancing a diet and re-engaging with sport or physical exercise with a view to losing weight are often difficult changes to adhere to when the timescale is long.
Sooner or later, old eating habits or lifestyle choices return, often due to insufficient support and motivational encouragement.
The three key requirements for achieving durable weight loss are: re-balancing the diet, developing a more positive body image and learning how to manage everyday emotions. This last requirement is essential in terms of staying on track for the long term.
Individualised Behavioural Nutrition addresses these three requirements and is a technique which has been proven to be effective in:
- re-balancing an individual’s nutritional and micronutritional intake,
- maintaining motivation and managing frustrations and emotions to ease food cravings and replace them with other pleasures,
- teaching individuals how to regain self-esteem, feel good about themselves and get active again.
Medical support to aid weight loss
The support provided by a health professional is a crucial part of a nutritional strategy.
The professional can assess each individual’s requirements for nutrients and micronutrients and offer personalised and tailored advice.
This monitoring and support should be provided regularly and frequently at first during the re-balancing phase before being scaled back during the maintenance phase.
The medical component of the support can:
- Diagnose any health problems, which may not previously have been detected, but which need to be considered (diabetes, hypothyroidism, etc.) in order to adapt the nutritional programme,
- Consider and investigate any factors which might have caused and/or be maintaining the weight gain: emotional trauma, illness, medication, eating habits (skipping meals, eating on the hoof), lifestyle (physical inactivity), etc.,
- Assess specifically for each individual the need to be supported throughout the programme and for as long as is required.
- Website of the French medical college for behavioural nutrition (CNMC): https://sites.google.com/a/cmnc.fr/college-medical-de-nutrition-comportementale/home
- Eve Villemur (2018) Maigrir grâce à mes 3 cerveaux. Published by Leduc.s